Make Your Homeshared Apartment Stand Out with These Easy Decorating Ideas
We’re all about homesharing. The flexibility and convenience it offers, along with the ability to earn extra cash while you’re away, makes homesharing the perfect lifestyle complement for today’s modern urbanites. While Daydream’s fully managed homeshare program removes much of the responsibility of becoming a host, there are still a few things you can do to make your space stand out to attract more guests.
Just as staging a home can attract attention from potential buyers and increase the purchase price, decorating your apartment with some easy and budget-friendly decorating tips can also help attract potential homestay guests. Creating a warm and welcoming vibe is easy when you know the tricks of the trade. Fortunately, there’s no shortage of inspiration to be found online thanks to design sites, such as Apartment Therapy, Houzz, and Mydomaine. When preparing to photograph your apartment, consider the impression it makes. Here are some simple steps you can take to make it more inviting.
CLEAR THE CLUTTER
- Clear all counters and surfaces of any unnecessary clutter.
- Hide TV cables and other electronics cords.
- Pay attention to areas that accumulate clutter, such as crowded kitchen counters, bookshelves, and entryways.
- Create a place for everything. All of your possessions should have a home.
BRING ON THE DECORATIVE ACCENTS
- Add a couple of throw pillows to the bed and couch. This is also an easy way to add pops of color to brighten a room.
- Greenery can breathe new life into a space. Invest in some low-maintenance plants (succulents are a great option) or artificial greenery. Faux flowers are more lifelike than ever and can make a drab interior bloom.
- Transform bare walls with artwork, floating shelves, or a green wall.
- Set the stage with scented candles, coffee table books, or a beautiful vase.
- Add texture with a funky throw pillow on the sofa or a strategically placed rug.
- Add warmth with soft lighting and decorative lamps.
- Choose a cohesive color scheme that makes people feel relaxed and at home. While you can’t go wrong with neutrals, blues and grays are among the most popular shades when it comes to creating a sense of calm.
- Frame any artwork or posters. You don’t want your space to feel like a dorm room.
- Make a statement with your bookshelves. Don’t be afraid to get creative and arrange books by color, pair with accessories, and stack books both horizontally and vertically to make it more visually appealing.
- Make your apartment feel like a home. People opt for a homeshare because they want a personal touch rather than the impersonal feeling of a hotel. Don’t be afraid to let your personality shine through.
While everyone has their own design sensibilities, creating a warm and inviting space is easy when you keep comfort and functionality in mind. An appealing aesthetic can be achieved with a few minor tweaks, helping your apartment to stand out from the rest.
Heather Mikesell has been covering the travel and wellness scene for decades. She is co-founder of Well Defined Media and former editor-in-chief of American Spa magazine. When she’s not enjoying Champagne facials and caviar creams, she’s likely to be found defying State Department warnings in search of adventure. Check out www.welldefined.com for her latest wellness scoop